Caramel Pecan Pastry Ring Serves 12
2 packets (240g each) chilled fresh dough for six croissants
or if unavailable, 450g ready rolled puff pastry
175g (6oz) pecans or walnuts,
115g (4oz) light soft brown sugar
25g (1oz) plain flour
2 teaspoons ground mixed spice, or cinnamon
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large red-skinned eating apple such as Empire or Gala
3-4 tablespoons caramel or toffee flavoured dessert sauce, or maple syrup.
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5
- Chop pecans and place in bowl. Add sugar and cinnamon/mixed spice – mix well. Set aside 40g (1.5 oz) of pecan mixture. Add flour to remaining pecan mixture and mix well. Add egg and vanilla; mix until blended. Set filling aside.
- Unroll croissant dough, separate into 12 triangles, and arrange in a circle (wide ends together) on the Classic Round Stone. Gently press edges of triangle together to seal. Spoon pecan mixture evenly onto widest end of each dough triangle.
- Cut apple in half and remove core. Place apple halves, cut sides down and crinkle cut each apple half crosswise into 5 mm (1/4 in) slices. Arrange apple slices over filling in a circular pattern. Sprinkle reserved pecan mixture evenly over apples.
- Bring outside points of triangles up over filling. Tuck under wide ends of dough at centre of ring (filling should not be completely covered). Place Baking Stone in Rack.
- Bake for 22-25 mins, or until deep golden brown. Drizzle with dessert sauce. Cut and serve warm.
Independent Director for the Pampered Chef