All you ever need and want to know about the rice cooker plus!
So you’ve bought a Rice Cooker Plus? Sure, it’ll give you perfect fluffy rice PLUS so much more!! You can use it to make Macaroni Cheese, steamed vegetables, soups, instant pasta and potatoes, pudding, oatmeal, cakes, just about anything without worrying about it boiling over in the microwave and making a mess.
- Place 1 cup of rice in rice cooker. Add 2 cups of boiling water.
- Set clear inner lid into base with outer rim upright.
- Set lid into rice cooker aligning tabs with handles.
- Pull locks up and over tabs to click in place.
- Cook on full power for approximately 10mins depending on quantity of rice.
- Leave to stand for about 5 minutes
- Starch from the rice will be separated and left on clear inner lid.
- Steam will build up so use an oven mitt to remove lid so that steam escapes away from your face.
- Cooking times will vary slightly with different types of rice and microwaves.
COOKING POTATOES AND VEGETABLES
- Place 1kg of potatoes i.e. Charlottes in the rice cooker.
- Do not add any water as potatoes are 70% water content so the potatoes will cook in their own juices and their flavour will be retained.
- Do not prick the skins.
- You do not need to add any salt.
- Cook 1kg of small / medium potatoes for 12mins. Times will vary according to the power of the microwave
- Some water will be released from the potatoes so drain off.
- Steam will be produced so lift lid off carefully away from your face using an oven mitt.
- For smaller quantities of potatoes adjust times accordingly.
- Do not cook less than 6 small potatoes at any time.
- For other vegetables with a high water content i.e. carrots or Swede the same process can be used. Again don’t cook too small a quantity at any one time.
1 cup Brown Rice
2 ½ cups water
- Place rice and water in Rice Cooker Plus. Attach both lids.
- Microwave on medium power for 25 minutes.
- Let stand in microwave 5 minutes
Note: Brown rice can be tricky. You may need to play around with the time and power settings to find the right combination. This is what works on mine.
Creamy Rice Pudding
¾ cup uncooked long grain white rice
½ tsp Cinnamon
2 ½ cups water
1 cup half and half
¼ tsp salt
½ cup raisins (optional)
1 pkg vanilla instant pudding
1 cup milk
- Combine rice, water and salt in Rice Cooker Plus. Cover and microwave for 15 minutes on medium and 10 minutes on high. Allow rice to stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in Small Batter Bowl, combine milk, half and half, pudding mix and cinnamon; whisk until smooth and beginning to thicken using Stainless Steel Whisk.
- Remove cooker from microwave. Carefully remove lids, lifting away from you. Add pudding mixture and raisins, if desired; mix well using Classic Scraper. Makes 8 servings.
- ENJOY!!!! I think it’s served better hot, but try it both ways.
Molten Chocolate Lava Cake
One box of chocolate cake mix ingredients to make the chocolate cake (from the back of the box)
One can of chocolate frosting
- Empty cake mix and cake mix ingredients into Rice Cooker Plus and mix together.
- Add ½ the can of frosting with Small Scoop.
- Microwave for about 8-10 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- You can use any kind of cake mix and frosting, but chocolate is my favourite!
5 min treacle pud (or jam – treacle surprise, as in jam not treacle)
4 oz sugar
4 oz butter
4oz S.R flour
2 eggs – medium
1 tsp vanilla essence
Cream sugar, butter add flour , add eggs and van essence. Use batter bowl for this.
Add small amount of milk if mixture far too thick
Oil v slightly rice cooker up to halfway. Pour a generous amount of treacle or jam into base of rice cooker. Add cake mixture on to top.
Cook on high 5-6 mins or until sides of sponge are slightly coming away from sides of r cooker. Take closed lid off and concave inner, put a plate over top of r cooker and invert. Pud should ‘flop’ down on to plate. Treacle is now all over top of sponge and it can be cut like a cake.
Can add 2tbsp of cocoa powder if want choc and add nutella to base instead of treacle or jam.
Middle Eastern Rice and Lentils
3/4 cup coarsely chopped onion
1 tbsp. favourite sauté liquid
3 1/2 cups broth or 3 1/2 cups water + 1 tsp. salt
3/4 cup uncooked rice
1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed and picked over
1 cup diced, peeled baking potato
3/4 cup diced, peeled carrot
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1 cup diced red bell pepper
3/4 cup frozen green peas
- In Rice Cooker Plus combine onion and sauté liquid. Microwave uncovered for 2-3 minutes, stirring once, until crisp-tender.
- Add broth/water, rice, lentils, potato, carrot, raisins and spices. Cover with lid. Microwave on High for 18-20 minutes, stirring 3 times, until rice and lentils are almost tender (takes longer for the lentils).
- Stir in bell pepper and peas. Cover and micro for 3-5 minutes more, or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice and lentils are tender. Let stand on heatproof surface for 5 minutes before serving
Creamy One Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Peel and slice/cube potatoes as usual. Place in Rice Cooker Plus. (Fill about half way for a family of 4.)
- Add butter. (amount depends on your taste and the amount of spuds you use)
- Add enough milk so that half of the potatoes are covered.
- Microwave until potatoes are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Mash with potato masher. Add more milk or butter if needed. Add salt/pepper/seasoning to taste.
Variations: Add 1-2 whole, peeled garlic cloves to peeled and cubed potatoes and cook as recipe directs. Add sour cream with seasonings.
Healthy One Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Slice potatoes with Ultimate Slice N Grate; place in cooker. (Fill about half way for a family of 4.)
- Pour stock (any kind) or water over potatoes until almost covered.
- Microwave 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Drain off stock into Easy Read Measuring Cup.
- Mash potatoes, adding light margarine to taste.
- Add small amounts of stock until desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If you are not worried about your hips J add butter and milk.
- If you like your mashed potatoes whipped, you can do it right in the bowl.
- Add freshly minced garlic, grated parmesan cheese from the micro plane, or even cheddar cheese from the cheese grater. You can go all out and add some sour cream too!
Stock Option: Mix 2 cups of stock with 1/2 to 1 packet of Lipton Savory Herb and Garlic soup mix, and then pour it over the potatoes. If potatoes aren’t covered, add more stock or water.
2 cups water
2 tsp. Southwestern Seasoning
16 oz. Jar of Salsa (flavour and heat your choice)
- Put water in Rice Cooker.
- Add rice until water level is raised to 3 cups.
- Add Southwestern Seasoning
- Microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Microwave on 50% power for 15 minutes.
- Remove from Microwave; stir.
- Add 16 oz. of salsa and grated cheese to your liking.
- Variation: Add 1/2 lb. of seasoned minced beef, after you remove it from the microwave.
- ramen noodles
- heat pie filling to make pies bake more quickly
- combine 1 pound cooked meat and favourite sauce (spaghetti, Alfredo, etc) to heat quickly
- microwave rice (use 50/50 water and rice, cook about 5 minutes, let sit 5-10 minutes ? check microwave directions on box)
- noodle mixes
- rice mixes
- heat soups
Microwave Pineapple Upside Down Cake
1-cup dark brown sugar
8 oz. crushed pineapple
Pineapple Cake Mix
16 oz. sour cream
Melt butter in saucepan. Add brown sugar and crushed pineapple. Cook over med. low heat until dissolved. Let cool slightly. Mix cake mix, eggs, and sour cream together. Pour pineapple mixture into Rice Cooker Plus. Spoon cake mixture on top of pineapple mixture. Microwave for 13 minutes. If your microwave does not have a turntable, turn after 6 1/2 minutes and resume cooking. Let cake cool 10-15 minutes and turn out onto serving plate and serve.
Mexican Chocolate Cake
¼ cup almonds
1 container (16 ounces) sour cream
1 package devil’s food cake mix
6 ounces miniature semi sweet chocolate chips
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
1 tablespoon sugar
1 container (8 ounces) whipped topping
Chop almonds using Food Chopper; set aside. In Classic Batter Bowl, whisk eggs and sour cream using Stainless Steel Whisk until smooth. Add cake mix, almonds, half of the chocolate chips and 1 ½ teaspoons of the Cinnamon; mix until smooth using Mix ‘N Scraper®. Spoon batter into Rice Cooker Plus, spreading evenly. Microwave cake on HIGH 11-14 minutes or until cake Tester inserted in centre comes out clean. (Cake will be slightly moist on top near centre). Remove to Non-stick Cooling Rack; let stand 10 minutes.
Loosen cake from sides of pan; invert onto serving plate. Cool 20 minutes. Combine sugar and remaining Cinnamon in Flour/Sugar Shaker; sprinkle over cake.
Place remaining chocolate chips and half of the whipped topping in the Small Micro cooker. Microwave on HIGH 15-30 seconds or until melted; stir until smooth using Skinny Scraper. Drizzle glaze over cake. Garnish cake with remaining whipped topping using Easy Accent Decorator.
Incredible 12 minute cakes!!
Just follow these simple steps:
1. Mix eggs and pie filling in Batter Bowl (a whisk works for most)
2. Add cake mix and blend well with Mix n Scraper.
3. Pour batter into Rice Cooker Plus and microwave on high for 12 – 13 minutes
4. Let cool 10 minutes and invert on platter
If you do not have a Carousel, rotate 1/4 turn every 3 minutes. Check with a cake tester and if not
done then cook 1 minute more each time before testing again.
Garnish with icing, whipped topping, more pie fillings, nuts, etc. The best results are found with cake mixes containing puddings or the new moist cakes.
1 chocolate cake mix
1 can cherry pie filling
Top with fudge frosting, whipped topping, grated chocolate, or more cherry filling
1 lemon or white cake mix
1 can lemon pie filling
Top with a lemon glaze and whipped topping
1 spice cake mix
1 can pumpkin (not pie mix)
(1/2 tsp. cinnamon – optional)
Drizzle with caramel ice cream topping & top with cool whip! A sprinkle of cinnamon sugar on cake is nice too!
Apple Cinnamon Spice
1 spice cake mix
1 can applesauce or apple pie filling
Drizzle with caramel. Top with ice cream or whipped topping
Raging Red Raspberry
1 white or chocolate cake mix
1 can raspberry pie filling
Top with whipped topping and grated chocolate (white or regular) and nuts.
1 Banana cake mix
1 can banana cream pie filling OR 14 oz mashed bananas
Glaze with powdered sugar glaze, chopped walnuts.
Caramel and Apple
1 caramel or butter pecan cake mix
1 can apple pie filling
Top with cinnamon ice cream
Fantastic, Quick Chocolate Cake
1 x chocolate cake mix
16 oz sour cream
½ cup chocolate chips
Sprinkle with icing sugar
White cake mix
cherry pie filling
10 minute cake
1 cake mix, any kind
1 cup of water
¼ cup of oil
½ can prepared frosting
Mix all ingredients except frosting in 2 qt. Batter Bowl. Pour into Rice Cooker Plus. Drop frosting by spoonfuls on top of cake batter. Place in microwave on high and cook for 10 minutes. Use cake tester to see if it is done, and cook additional 1-2 minutes each time until done. Let cake cool completely. Invert onto serving platter. Frosting will be on top of inverted cake. Options: Grate or chop nuts, chocolate, candy, (whatever you want) on top. Decorate with cool whip using Easy Accent Decorator. Put sliced strawberries (or other fruit) on or around cake