This fabulous recipe is Nigella’s which I have adapted for stoneware use. This essentially means it has become a “Chuck and Bung” recipe with no need to return to the oven until its cooked – my favourite!!
The fabulous smell as this cooks is really summery which, obviously right now is perfect, though I am convinced I shall be making it in the depths of winter too as it is a real hit with ALL the family!
My final comment on this recipe is that it has completely removed the fear of boning a whole chicken myself. I followed a brilliant video that The Pampered Chef team posted (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiwHpDtZHOE) and I LOVE that I have gained a new skill in the kitchen.
- 1 chicken (approx. 2.25kg / 4½lbs) cut into 10 pieces
- 1 bulb of garlic (separated into unpeeled cloves)
- 2 unwaxed lemons (cut into chunks using Veggie Wedger)
- 1 handful fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 150 ml white wine
- black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 145°C fan/ 160°C/gas mark 3/325ºF.
- Put the chicken pieces into Rectangular Baker and add the garlic cloves, lemon chunks and the thyme; just roughly pull the leaves off the stalks, leaving some intact for strewing over later. Add the oil and using your hands mix everything together, then spread the mixture out, making sure all the chicken pieces are skin side up.
- Sprinkle over the white wine and grind on some pepper.
- Pop into the oven for approx 1 hr 45 mins. Serve with new potatoes and green beans.