Here in the UK, The Pampered Chef are just about to launch a brand new type of Stoneware. It claims to cook just as fabulously as normal Stoneware but it is able to cook on a hob, on a BBQ, under the grill and be washed up in the dishwasher! Obviously, I needed to check these claims out and decided the best way was to try one of the recipes that comes with the “Dutch Oven Rockcrok”. As I had to feed at least 8 people I decided to start with this recipe.
This recipe is brilliant because it is quite simple, with a bit of pre-prep on the hob and then left to slowly cook in the oven until the pork melts and the sauce is absolutely gorgeous. Everyone in the family LOVED this. Suffice to say, I shall be making it again. And the RockCrok??? So far, so absolutely amazing! Plus putting it in the dishwasher afterwards was very pleasing!
3 tbps, plus 1 tsp sunflower oil, divided
1 large onion, finely chopped with Food Chopper
2 carrots, peeled and sliced (about 240g)
2 celery sticks, sliced (about 125g)
2 cloves garlic, pressed with Garlic Press
1.5kg diced lean casserole pork (I used Pork shoulder steaks as they were on offer!)
6 rashers rindless lean back bacon (150g prepared weight) cut into 5cm pieces
50g plain flour
250ml dry red wine (such as Cabernet Sauvignon)
2 tins (400g each) plum tomatoes
1 tbps dried mixed herbs
Chopped fresh parsley, to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 170C/ fan150C/ Gas 3. Heat 1 tbps of oil in RockCrok Dutch Oven over medium heat for 3-5 mins or until hot. Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook for 2-3 mins or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove vegetables to a plate; set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp of remaining oil to Dutch Oven. Add one quarter of the pork, cook uncovered, 3-4 minutes or until lightly sealed, stirring occasionally. Remove to a large dish. Repeat sealing of remaining pork, in 3 batches, adding 1 tsp of oil for each batch. Set pork aside.
- Add remaining oil to Dutch Oven, cook bacon, uncovered, 2-3 mins until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Return pork to Dutch Oven, stir in flour, mix well. Cook 1-2 mins or until lightly browned, stirring continuously. Stir in veg, wine, dried herbs and tomatoes. Chop tomatoes using Mix ‘N Chop. Increase heat to med-high; bring to the boil, stirring continuously. Cover; transfer to oven, bake 1.5-2hrs or until pork is tender.
- Remove from oven. Garnish with chopped parsley if desired. Serve with cooked pasta (I went for tagliatelle).
Nutrients per serving: Energy 1333kj. 319 kcal; Protein 36.3g; Carbohydrate 10.1g; Sugars 5.4g; Fat 13.1g; Saturated Fat 3.6g; Fibre 1.8g; Salt 1g.