This amazing cake is so delicious and moist and yet is cooked in a Microwave??!! Now, before you back away from the recipe shaking your head in horror – please, please give it a go. It just doesn’t taste at all like its been cooked in the microwave. Honestly!
The main product used for this is a brand new one which is coming out in March (2015!) and is going to be fondly called the “baby Rockcrok” (or officially the 1.9ltr Rockcrok Casserole). It may be that the Rockcrok actually helps in making this taste like it wasn’t cooked in a microwave – I haven’t tried it in anything else to compare it. If, however, you try it out and don’t have (yet!) a Rockcrok please do let me know how it goes.
175g dark soft brown sugar, divided
2 tablespoons water
100g pecan halves, divided
200g trimmed and peeled carrots (prepared weight)
150g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
150ml sunflower oil
- Melt butter, 50g of the sugar and water in baby Rockcrok (1.9lt) on hob over medium heat 3-5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and mixture begins to bubble, stirring continuously. Remover Casserole from heat. Cool for 2 minutes.
- Starting on the outside edge of the casserole, carefully place about 85g of the pecans upside down, close together in a circular patter, in brown sugar mixture. Set aside. Coarsely chop remaining pecans using Food Chopper; set aside.
- Grate carrots using Microplane Adjustable Coarse Grater into Classic Batter Bowl. Add remaining sugar, flour baking powder, cinnamon, mixed spice, orange zest (easiest tool for this is the Microplane Zester) and chopped pecans to the grated carrot.
- In Small Batter Bowl, whisk eggs and oil together using Stainless Whisk. Pour egg mixture into the carrot mixture; mix until well combined using Small Mix ‘N Scraper. Spoon mixture into Casserole and level surface.
- Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH 7-9 minutes or until cake tester or wooden cocktail stick comes out clean when inserted into centre of sponge (the top will look quite moist and sides shrunken slightly away). Remove cake from microwave to Stackable Cooling Rack. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Carefully invert cake onto serving plate. Serve warm (with or without cream!) or cold.
Microwave cooking times are tested using 900w microwave oven. Please adjust according to suit your microwave oven.