This is a brand new recipe to me but, apparently, a bit of a classic to The Pampered Chef. I have never made, nor eaten, a jalousie before – however I am completely won over! I had been asked to do something different for a show and also a vegetarian recipe. This was recommended to me and turned out to be an absolute winner. It is so easy, and yet looks really great, and tastes fabulous. Sadly, I forgot (again!) to take a photo this time. So I shall just have to make another one! I think I might make it for a light lunch with friends, or when I am next asked to make something for a bring and share party, or just when I have some spare puff pastry that happens to make its way into my shopping trolley!!
1 packet (425g) frozen ready rolled puff pastry (2 sheets) defrosted
85g sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained, wiped dry
85g classic green pesto sauce
Plain flour, for dusting
1 log (approx 100-125g) soft goat’s cheese (without rind)
1 garlic clove
Sesame Seeds, for sprinkling (optional)
Shredded fresh basil leaves, to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/Gas 6. Allow pastry to stand at room temperature 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, snip sun-dried tomatoes into small pieces using Professional Shears. Press garlic with Garlic Press. Combine sun-dried tomatoes and pesto sauce in Classic Batter Bowl; mix well using Master Scraper. Set aside.
- Lightly dust Rectangle Stone with a little flour. Place one sheet of pastry on stone. Using Baker’s Roller®, roll pastry to form a 28 x 33 cm rectangle. Spread pesto mixture evenly over pastry using Small Spreader, leaving a 2.5 cm border around edge. Carefully slice each log of goat’s cheese using Utility Knife. Arrange goat’s cheese slices over pesto mixture in single layer. Brush edges of pastry sheet with water using Chef’s Silicone Basting Brush; set aside.
- Roll second sheet of pastry on lightly floured, flat surface of Large Grooved Cutting Board (to rectangle of same size). Fold pastry rectangle in half lengthways. On folded-length, cut about 11 cm length strips, about 2.5 cm apart (do not cut through ends).
- Gently open pastry sheet and place over filling; press pastry edges together to seal. Using Crinkle Cutter, trim edges of puff pastry; discard trimmings. Flute pastry edges, if desired. Beat egg in Small Bamboo Fibre Bowl with Stainless Mini Whisk; brush over surface of pastry. Sprinkle sesame seeds evenly over top, if desired.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until deep golden brown. Remove to Stackable Cooling Rack; cool slightly. Sprinkle with shredded basil leaves, if desired.
- Cut into squares using Pizza Cutter; serve warm using Mini-Serving Spatula.