This recipe has been kindly shared by my colleague Kit Hemsley. She has adapted a recipe originally from TheRecipeCritic.com. It is a stunningly easy ‘get-ahead’ recipe which is tangy and really, really delicious. Please don’t be afraid of the chilli, it really isn’t hot (as tested on my spice-phobic friend!!)
- 5/6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (chop into bitesize pieces) using Forged Cutlery Utility Knife
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp sunflower or veg. oil
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 garlic clove
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 1 red chilli
- 2-3 cups of chicken stock (or water).
- 1 cup cashews (reserve half of the cashews and brown in a pan for later)
1. Chop chilli, garlic and ginger using food chopper
2. Put ALL the ingredients in the Deep Covered Baker and stir, put on lid.
3. Cook on 200/ High (Aga top oven) for 30-40 min to get DCB and contents cooking then 120/ Low (Aga bottom oven) for 3 to 4 hours. OR when I made this yesterday I just put it on timer for 4 hours at 140 fan (therefore 160 non-fan)
4. Add cashews and stir.
5.Serve with rice and some green veg.
Makes about 6 servings