This cake is called Daddy cake because my daddy likes it!! It has been inherited from my fabulous mum. It is really difficult to describe because it is technically a light fruit cake (I think) but this doesn’t really help people to know whether to try it or not. It is definitely NOT a fruit cake like you get at weddings or christmas. It isn’t like a dundee cake either. It is more “cakey” than either of those and yet it is more dense than a Victoria Sponge. In short, its Daddy Cake! There is nothing else I know like it! It tastes fabulous, and (especially if you have a big mixer) is simplicity itself to make.
8oz Self Raising Flour
4oz Butter (soft if possible)
4oz Sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1tsp Mixed Spice
4oz Dried Fruit
- Heat oven to 170.
- Add Flour, Butter, 4oz Sugar, Egg and Mixed Spice to mixer.
- Beat on high until well combined and slightly lighter in colour.
- Turn mixer down to low. Whilst still beating add enough milk to make a soft dropping texture.
- Add Fruit and gently mix through.
- Use Small Mix ‘N Scraper to transfer into Mini Baker (and not leave any behind!). Flatten top. Sprinkle with Granulated Sugar
- Bake in the oven for approx 35-40 mins until cake tester comes out clean.