This recipe is just a fantastic taste of Summer. Strawberries, Cream, puff pastry… yum!!! Next time I make them I WILL take a photo and not just wolf it down!
1 Packet (375g) chilled fresh ready-rolled puff pastry (1 Sheet)
60g flaked almonds, divided
3 tbsp granulated sugar
1 carton (284ml) double cream
85g sifted icing sugar, divided
115g mascarpone cheese, softened
12 large ripe strawberries, sliced
1 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 200˚C/fan 180˚C/ Gas 6. Unroll pastry sheet onto Rectangle Stone. Trim pastry edges to make rectangle measuring 30 x 23 cm; discard trimmings. Finely chop 40g of the almonds using Food Chopper. Combine chopped almonds and 2 tbsp of the granulated sugar; sprinkle evenly over surface of dough. Lightly press almond mixture into dough using Bakers Roller.
- Using Pizza Cutter, cut dough lengthways into three even strips; cut crossways into four even strips, making a total of 12 squares. Separate squares and position evenly over surface of baking stone. Bake 15-20 minutes or until cooked, puffed and golden brown. Remove from baking stone to Stackable Cooling Rack; cool completely.
- Zest entire orange using Zester/ Scorer. Combine zest and remaining granulated sugar in Prep Bowl; set aside.
- Pour cream into Stainless 4-Litre mixing Bowl; add 45g of the icing sugar and the almond extract. Whip using Double Balloon Whisk until cream forms soft peaks. Combine remaining icing sugar and mascarpone cheese in Stainless 2-litrs Mixing Bowl using Master Scraper. Add mascarpone mixture to whipped cream; whisk until combined and cream mixture is smooth and thick (don’t over-whip). Slice strawberries using Utility Knife.
- Split each pastry square in half; arrange half of the strawberries into bottom of each shell. Top each with about 2 heaped tbsp of the cream filling and sprinkle with chopped toasted almonds. Top with remaining strawberry slices and sprinkle with sugared orange zest. Place tops of pastries over filling. Serve immediately.
Yield: Makes 12 Pastries
Per serving: Energy 1257 kJ/303 kcal; Protein 2.7g; Carbohydrate 19g; Fat 25.5g; Saturated Fat 11.5g; Fibre 1g; Salt 0.3 g
Cooks Tip: Other small whole fresh berries such as raspberries or blueberries can be substituted for strawberries, if desired. Try using lemon or lime zest in place of orange zest.